Sunday, January 29, 2012

Penguins and Polar Bears A-Plenty

This week we learned all about penguins and polar bears.  My kids LOVED learning about penguins.  They think penguins are the coolest animals and I think I may have to agree!  Here are some pictures of some of the fun things we did!

Morning Work

Count the fish by 2's.  Find the baby penguin.  Put them in order and write the number.

Count the penguins by 10's.  Find the matching penguin.  Put them in order and write the number.

Math Centers

How many fish can you buy if each fish costs 1 cent?





I made these two things to help with tally marks and skip counting.  The kids refer to them all the time when they can't think of the answer!


 Literacy Centers


I tried to "trick" them with using two colors in a sentence, but most of them did great!










 
Art Center...SO cute!



Theme

I got this idea from Julie Lee.  My kids loved it!



I am not sure where this glyph came from, but they turned out so cute!


Mr. Penguin oh so cute,
Why so serious in your suit?
To make you laugh I would...

 On Friday we learned about polar bears.   I forgot to take a picture of a polar bear.  We wrote facts on the back and put cotton balls on the front.  They turned out pretty cute!  Next year, I think I'll try some type of TLC type project.

And a few more fun pictures...
 
Happy Chinese New Year!  We had fortune cookies and chopsticks in the lunchroom.  So fun!
I came back in the room from hanging student work up and this little peacemaker was at my document camera "teaching" a friend who wasn't finished.  He was trying his best to make sure his friend knew exactly what to do and tried to give him enough time to write everything before he turned the page.  I love when my k-friends decide to help their friends in such sweet ways!

There is not enough time in the day to do everything I wanted to do with this unit, but next year I have some new ideas that I hope to squeeze in!

Also, if you have asked for my things and I haven't sent them to you, I am so so so so sorry!  I started grad school this month and I am trying to make all new things for each weekly theme so I am in survival mode.  Also, my jump drive burnt up this week, so it's been rather crazy trying to get things finished.  If you will e-mail me, I can try to get you the things you asked for ASAP (if it is on my computer).

Sorry such a long post!  It's been a crazy week all around!  I hope you enjoy and share with your friends!

3 comments:

  1. HI!!
    Looks like so much fun!! Penguins and Polar bEars!! I was wondering where you got all your printables for this unit?

    I am planning to do it this week...
    thanks
    Monica
    monicagodoy12@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made all of the printables! Jamie Maya's, Julie Lee, and Anna Holcomb all have units for sale on TPT as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jamie,

    You had said that you did not mind sending me some of your snowman materials a while back and was hoping you would still not mind sharing. Your penguin activities are also so adorable!! As I said, if you still don't mind sharing, I would greatly appreciate it!

    Thanks!

    twinkletoez773@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete